About Denise Oliveira
I represent nonprofit and for-profit developers and owners throughout the country in the acquisition, development, and preservation of affordable housing. My practice spans transactional and regulatory compliance matters pertaining to multifamily affordable housing programs, including:
- Section 8 renewals and assignments
- Transfers of ownership of HUD-assisted properties
- Transfer of physical assets (TPAs)
Prior to joining the firm, I practiced at the New York City Department of Housing Preservation and Development, where I worked on Section 8 matters as well as the preservation of affordable housing through the enforcement of anti-harassment laws. Previously, I was an associate in the Community Development Finance group at Nixon Peabody LLP, representing clients developing real estate with the use of federal, state, historic, and new market tax credits.
- District of Columbia
- New York
- JD, Georgetown University Law Center
- BA, Cornell University
- Represented numerous clients in obtaining HUD approvals needed for the substantial rehabilitation of projects across the country, including approvals for HAP assignments and Chapter 15 Mark-Up-To-Market renewals with post-rehabilitation rent increases.
- Currently assisting clients with closing packages for direct loans and grants awarded through HUD’s new Green and Resilient Retrofit (“GRRP”) Program.
- Currently representing a client in obtaining HUD approval to convert a project’s Project Rental Assistance Contract (PRAC) and Capital Advance to a project-based Section 8 HAP contract pursuant to HUD’s Rental Assistance Demonstration for 202 PRAC projects.
- Represented a client in the transfer of a property subject to use restrictions under the Low-Income Housing Preservation and Resident Homeownership Act (LIHPRHA) in obtaining various HUD approvals needed to conduct a large-scale rehabilitation of the project, including HAP assignments, HAP renewals with budget-based rent increases, and assignment of the LIHPRHA use agreement.
- Currently representing a client in obtaining HUD approvals for an 8bb Moving Section 8 transaction in Detroit, Michigan, to allow the transfer of Section 8 subsidy to a new, mixed-use development.
- Represented multiple clients on obtaining HUD modified TPA approval to acquire the general partner interest in various projects throughout the country.
- Currently representing numerous clients throughout the country in obtaining Enhanced Vouchers or Project Based Vouchers following the expiration of HUD use agreements.
Get the HUD Support You Deserve
Public or private, you’re supporting the community. We can give you the legal support you need.